Every year in the Swiss city of Richterswil on Lake Zurich in the second Saturday of November is a holiday rutabagas - Raben-Chilbi, which is over a hundred years.
Many scientists believe that the swede turnip hybrid and one of the species of wild cabbage, and it was first bred in Sweden. In Europe, it called -
. According to another version, the rutabaga was the result of random mating of cabbage and colza sheet. And here in the United States called rutabaga -
- Rutabaga root-bag.
Vernacular: Bushmen bruchka, gruhva, pear, galanka, jaundice, zemlyanuha, Kaliva, kalivka, Calico Kaliga, German.
- Biennial herbaceous plant of the cabbage family. In the first year after planting from there swede rosette of leaves and roots. In the second year rutabaga form flower stalks and seeds.
The leaves are thick, fleshy, glabrous or slightly pubescent, greenish-blue, often dissected with a waxy coating. Root - fleshy root round, oval, cylindrical shape. The skin covering the root is usually yellow, the part that protrudes above the surface of the soil - the gray-green or purple. The juicy pulp is sweet taste with a slight bitter yellow or white.
Branched flowering stems reach a height of 80 to 170 cm. The orange-yellow or golden-yellow flowers are collected in inflorescence - a brush and drip honey scent that attracts bees and other insects. Fruit - polyspermous pod. Seeds - beads irregular shape with brown ridges.
Now rutabaga is cultivated all over the world - in Europe, the USA, India, Australia, Japan and New Zealand. But, unfortunately, it became less likely to grow in Russia. And once rutabaga in Russia has been one of the most popular vegetable crops. And no wonder, since this unpretentious root just a storehouse of vitamins and other nutrients that are stored in the rutabaga throughout the winter and early spring.
Pulp swede contains vitamins - A, B1, B2, B6, P, PP, C, proteins, carbohydrates, fats, sugars, rutin, pectin, nicotinic acid, ether and mustard oil, sodium, magnesium, manganese, potassium, calcium, iodine, sulfur, iron, copper and other valuable substances. Incidentally, vitamin C rutabaga more than citrus.
In one of the ancient myths of Apollo said that the rutabaga is much silver as she weighs.
First swede ate only the poor, but very soon it tasted and rich. In the XVII century it began to grow in the royal gardens in England.
Swede loved Goethe. The court preacher Marguerite French philosopher Pierre Charron swede imprinted on his coat of arms as a symbol of fertility philosophical.
Swede antiquity used not only as food, but also
as a medicinal plant
- In ancient Rome, turnips treated gout and long non-healing wounds.
- In the Middle Ages broth turnips washed his hands, wanting to protect themselves from infectious diseases.
- In Russia, turnips valued as antiscorbutic.
- Modern folk healers recommend eating turnips to strengthen the gums, with softening of the bones, constipation, obesity, with a strong cough, bronchial asthma, acute respiratory viral infection.
- Swede is an excellent antioxidant, it increases resistance to stress, is the prevention of atherosclerosis, has antimicrobial effect, reduces the risk of catching cold.
- Lovers of swede high immunity.
- For therapeutic purposes, using juice turnip ½ cup juice from 1st. spoon of honey 2 times a day.
- Rutabagas are boiled, fried, float, fresh turnips prepared salads, it is added to soups.
Swede is not recommended to eat in acute gastrointestinal disease!
in folk cosmetics
Grate a piece of treated rutabaga, add as much cream as turnip puree, 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon of cucumber juice. All mix and apply on face for 10-15 minutes. Remove swab soaked with warm brew green tea. Wash with cool water.
By 2 tbsp. tablespoons grated grated turnips add 1 tbsp. a spoonful of carrot juice, 1 teaspoon of honey and 1-2st. tablespoons grated mild cheese. Apply on face for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water, wash cold.
- Whitening of the skin and get rid of freckles turnip juice rubbed the skin.
After that, you can not go out in the sun on this day.
- Juice rutabaga rubbed into the roots of the hair for better growth and get rid of dandruff.