More 20 years ago, we were content with onions, although lovers and gardeners in times of scarcity managed to get the seeds and grow on their plots a variety of bows. Now in stores you can buy the so-called pearl onions. So called leek - a source of health and beauty.
This bow is the national emblem of Wales. Under assumptions of scientists, the British Isles, this bow was brought by the Romans. In 640 BC between the Welsh and the Saxons battle it took place, during which the priest David, Welsh dialect Dewey offered soldiers to attach the stems of leeks to hats to distinguish on the battlefield by his enemies.
The Welsh won this battle led by the Welsh king Cadwallader, a priest of David (Dewey) a few centuries later, in 1120, he was canonized by the Roman Church as priest, converted to Christianity Celtic tribes of Wales.
And since then, every year on March 1 Welsh celebrate St. David Day to celebrate the victory of their king.
In the capital of Wales, Cardiff on this day celebrations are held, and in every house on the table is served a traditional soup made from onions - leeks - Cawl Cennin.
Leeks - pearl onions -
Allium porrum L
- Cultural food and medicinal plants of the onion family. Vernacular: kyavyar, pearl onions, Praça onions ...
In the first year of life have formed a false leek onion, consisting of stem attached to thicken the leaves, which become thickened green stalk. Under the color of the leaves from the stem is white or light green. The height of the stalk depends on the stem and can range from 15 to 80cm. Green leaves of leeks are often covered with strong waxy bloom.
In the second year the plant throws flower arrow from 1 to 2 meters long. White or purple flowers leeks are collected in inflorescence ball into florets and like many other bows. Seeds of three-edged black.
In the wild in our time Leek found in the mountains of Greece and the North Caucasus. Cultural leek is grown in Europe, Asia, India, Indonesia, Africa, Malaysia, North and South America, and Australia. He is especially popular in England and the United States.
not only valuable edible, but
- It consists of: vitamins - A, B1, B2, B6, B32, PP, C, essential oil, sugar, volatile, enzymes, fiber, pantothenic acid, sulfur, sodium, iron, phosphorus and high in potassium, calcium.
- Leeks as a medicinal plant used the physicians of ancient Egypt, ancient Greece and Rome.
- Modern folk medicine in many countries use the drug leek in atherosclerosis, anemia, rheumatism, metabolic disorders, obesity, gout, kidney stones and gall bladder, to strengthen the immune system, improves mental and physical performance.
- Those who often eats onion, there are no varicose veins and thrombosis.
- Substances contained in leek onion, do not give a blood clot, making it thinner, about the same as aspirin.
- Doctors called leek best prevention of age changes of vessels.
Fresh onion is contraindicated in various inflammatory diseases of the stomach and intestines, onions boiled, stewed, baked, you can have everything.
This not only health
it is also a beauty
. Eat, leek improves skin tone, prevents it from fading and covered with wrinkles, makes hair strong, lush and shiny. Leeks are used and externally.
Mask for oily skin
Grind the leaves of the leek, take 1 tbsp. spoon pulp, add 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon of olive oil and apply on face for 10 minutes, rinse with warm brew green tea.
The mask for dry skin
1 tbsp. a spoonful of minced leeks mixed with 1 tbsp. dollop of sour cream and 1st. spoonful of soft cheese, apply on face for 10-15 minutes, rinse with warm water, wash with cool.
Tonic water onion
2-3 racemes leek pour ½ cup of boiled water, insist 2 hours. Wipe face in the morning and evening.