Image of leaves of celery, which the ancient Greeks called "lunar plant" imprinted on Greek coins belonging to the V century BC. Homer in the "Odyssey" called celery "Celine", which translated from Greek into Russian language means - brilliant.
In ancient times, with garlands of celery ancient Greeks decorated their home during the holidays. And at the head wore wreaths, woven out of his Carved of fragrant leaves. In ancient Rome, celery was also a decorative plant. Celery in antiquity did not eat, they admired. According to legend, the magical drink love that drink Tristan and Isolde, was part of celery juice.
Eat celery in food are the first Germans XV-XVI centuries. In Russia, the celery was introduced by the reign of Catherine II, and was bred as an ornamental plant. In the XVIII century began to eat the roots of celery. In modern times the celery cultivated in almost all countries of the world.
The most common celery, cultural -
- Herbaceous, biennial plant of the family umbrella. In the first year the plant forms a root to the leaves. In the second year to bloom and gives celery seeds.
In celery long green stems up to 2 meters tall and the leaves that resemble feathers of exotic birds. The whole plant is pleasantly, albeit sharp, smells. White flowers are small celery collected in a cyme. Flowering plant from June to September. Seeds are small dvusemyanki, length 1-1, 5 mm ripen at different times. Remain viable for 5 years.
All parts are edible and medicinal celery, used
in cooking, clinical nutrition and traditional medicine
There are three main varieties of celery
1. The sheet or tear Celery - Apium Graveolens secalinum. This kind of celery does not form roots, and it does not have thick stalks. But he has a big spicy leaves, this storehouse of vitamins. Its fresh leaves give the originality and uniqueness to any salad, dry as they are used as a condiment.
2. stemmed celery, celery stalks - Apium Graveolens dulce. Stemmed celery or lettuce has long, 60-70 cm white, green or pink with juicy leaf petioles aromatic flesh. From it are prepared salads, they are boiled, fried, stewed, and added to various dishes.
3. Celery Root - Apium Graveolens rapaceum. This species has a large juicy rounded root, which is eaten raw in salads, added to soups and other dishes.
Wild celery is still common in the Mediterranean along the rivers, lakes, seaside and in wetlands.
All parts of the plant contain: vitamins - A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, PP, U, E, K, cellulose, sugars, essential oil, minerals potassium, calcium, zinc, iron, phosphorus, boron, chlorine magnesium, manganese, iron, phosphorus, sulfur, selenium ...
Ancient physicians prescribed drugs in many of celery diseases. Hippocrates wrote that upset the nerves in the celery should be food and medicine.
In ancient times the celery-fed horses to give them endurance. People celery also gives stamina, improves mental and physical performance, helps to overcome the heat, cold, increases immunity and the ability to adapt to environmental changes.
Traditional medicine appoints celery broth with constipation, migraines, for the treatment of kidney stones, gout, rheumatism, kidney patients, nervous diseases.
When gout and rheumatism.
1 tbsp. a spoonful of celery seed Pour 1, 5 cups of boiled water at room temperature, insist 2 hours, strain, take 2st. spoon 3 times a day for half an hour before meals.
The infusion of the roots.
1st Class spoonful of chopped fresh celery root pour 2 cups of boiled water, in a thermos 2 hours, strain, take ¼ cup 3-4 times a day for 30 minutes before eating.
- Celery is the best vegetable fat burner, it
is indispensable in the fight against obesity
. Fresh juice of the roots of celery drink 1-2 teaspoon 3 times a day for 30 minutes. before meals. Nutritionists advise to all who wish to lose weight include celery into the daily menu of fresh, in salads and soups.
- Preparations of celery inhibit the development of atherosclerosis and reduce blood pressure.
- For skin diseases cook celery cream, chopped celery leaves fray with a creamy oil 1: 1.
For cosmetic purposes
More used ancient Greek celery beauties, who were convinced that a magic herb and celery able to support the youth for many years.
The recipe for a tonic
. 100 gr. celery green chop and pour 1 cup boiling water in a thermos and insist 4:00. Strain and wipe face in the morning and evening.
- Fresh celery juice eliminates
acne, pimples, clears the skin
. Soak juice 2 layers of cheesecloth and apply on face for 15 minutes. Wash with water at room temperature.
To remove the shine and fat
. 2 tbsp. tablespoons minced celery mixed with 2st. tablespoons chopped on a coffee grinder oat flakes and 1 teaspoon of honey.
Apply on face for 10-15 minutes. Wash with water at room temperature.
. 2 tbsp. tablespoons chopped celery stalks and leaves Pour 150 grams. milk, bring to a boil, cool, strain and apply on face for 215 minutes. This mask is suitable for neck and chest.
. 2 tbsp. tablespoons minced celery mixed with ½ teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of sour cream. Apply on face for 15 minutes, wash with warm water, then cool.
In the old beauty wore a sprig of celery with to attract fans.